Friday, March 27, 2009

Acts to see at Coachella (in a perfect dream world where I can be 3 places at once)

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.

This will make my fifth year that I've attended the festival (the fourth consecutive year), and I couldn't be more excited that it's only 20 days away.

Coachella is not for the faint of heart. The heat is deadly. The dust is dirty. The smells can be...smelly. The days are long and the walk to the car after the show is over is even longer. But man oh man, I wouldn't miss this festival for anything (Ok, so I can think of some instances in which I would miss the festival, but hyperbole is fun sometimes).

Coachella is also not for those with a strict agenda. There will be acts that one misses, and sometimes that just has to be dealt with. I missed Simian Mobile Disco last year because my Coachella buddy for the past 3 years running (this will be our fourth year going together) lost her wallet and had to go reclaim it in the VIP lounge. I missed the Yeah Yeah Yeahs because I was just too hungry and plain forgot that they were playing at that very moment. I missed Regina Spektor because myself and my friends just couldn't get motivated enough to leave the pool. But I hold no grudges, and every year the acts I miss are quickly forgotten in the afterglow of the numerous acts I am able to enjoy (last year, I think Hot Chip was the definite highlight of the weekend. Chilling out to Animal Collective's surprisingly mellow set was also a treat).

So, I make this list of acts I want to see without knowing who will be on what stage, and at what time any of these acts will commence. And I know I will have to miss some. But you know what? I could care less.

Friday, April 17th
Noah and the Whale
Peanut Butter Wolf
The Hold Steady
M. Ward
We Are Scientists
Crystal Castles
Ghostland Observatory
The Crystal Method
Girl Talk
The Black Keys (yes!)
Beirut (swooooon)
Conor Oberst (I've seen him so many times, I won't care if I miss him actually)
Leonard Cohen
Franz Ferdinand (seen em. They were fun, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to miss them for...)
PAUL McCARTNEY

Saturday, April 18th
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
Gang Gang Dance
Blitzen Trapper
Liars
Hercules and Love Affair
Jenny Lewis (please play only stuff from Rabbit Fur Coat...)
MSTRKRFT
Fleet Foxes
Band of Horses
TV on the Radio
Thievery Corporation
MIA
(there's also a lot I'm unfamiliar with on this day. If you have any recommendations, enlighten me)

Sunday, April 19th
Friendly Fires
No Age
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Okkervil River
The Kills
Lykke Li
Devendra Banhart (although I've missed him twice before and didn't care)
Public Enemy (umm...How can I not?)
Antony and the Johnsons
Peter Bjorn and John
Throbbing Gristle
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
My Bloody Valentine
The...Cure? (ok, maybe. But I've seen them before, too)

There ya go folks. Gimme suggestions, lemme know what you think, etc., etc....

2 comments:

Princess Leah said...

Leonard Cohen--do want! You must try to catch his set, if only so you can relate all to David & me.

Diana Marie said...

i can't believe leonard cohen is playing. my friend saw him two nights ago...he played for three hours straight and he's 75. rock on man.