Friday, October 2, 2009

What I've been discovering lately

As a few of you might have noticed, I have significantly increased the number of links to blogs and media-related sites over the past few months. Mostly because I haven't had much time to write lengthy blog posts -- what with the part-time internship, the conference planning, the full-time studying and the trying to fit in a few hours here and there for socializing so I don't go absolutely insane -- I've been trying to enrich at least some of the content on this here mind dump I like to call my blog. So if you have some free time (and trust me, I sympathize with you if you don't) check out some of my newer links to foundations, blogs, and media-related content aggregation sites I've added under my Media Links and Blogroll.

Below, I've highlighted some of my new favorites.

MediaShift is a blog from PBS Online that advertises itself as "Your Guide to the Digital Media Revolution" (I don't really like the term "revolution" in this context, but I'll let it slide this time), which so far seems to provide a good mix of local and international topics ranging from the business end of New Media to the importance and impact of social media and to focus on niche topics like web comics. Scroll down on the page a bit to find their Guides to hot topics in digital media news, including issues such as net neutrality, online privacy, and the Iranian election.

The Association for Progressive Communications (APC) is another recent find due in part to research on information and communications technologies (ICTs) for development for my New Media and Global Affairs class. Focusing on "social justice and sustainable development", APC's blog posts and articles create a lens into the world of attempted implementation of ICTs for developing countries and the obstacles met and overcome, as well as the myriad challenges presented with implanting ICTs into remote areas among populations of "unimagined users" with potential technological or literacy blockades to overcome. APC (and, for that matter, my NM&GA class) certainly helps me focus on a less US-centric view of the ICT world.

The First Monday podcast is the audio supplement to the online peer-reviewed journal of the same name. Browse their archives for topics relating to remixing/mash-up culture, Creative Commons, and cyber crime victims.

The Sociological Images blog takes images from the media and provides concise, intriguing analysis, reminding readers of the power of the image and importance of early media literacy education and sensitivity awareness. In their words (since they say it better than I can), they aim "to encourage all kinds of people to exercise and develop their sociological imagination by presenting brief sociological discussions of compelling and timely imagery that spans the breadth of sociological inquiry." I also totally love them because they wrote a brief analysis of the difference between the representations of male and female models in American Apparel catalogues and on their website (I wrote something similar a few months back).

Oh, and I totally want to do research here.

No comments: