Monday, September 1, 2008

Environmentalists, beware.

I've heard that trash was a problem in the Big Apple. But I had no idea it was this bad. 

Our apartment is lucky enough to have a basement recycling and trash center that is cleared out at least daily. But some neighborhoods don't have it nearly as good as we do. 

Above it a photograph of trash piled up on a street corner in Brooklyn. I walk past a horizontal version of this down Avenue B on the way to my friend's house: there were bags almost completely blocking the sidewalk so I had to step into the heap to let some guys pass by earlier today. 

Not only is the garbage a huge problem, but the amount of dead birds I see smashed on the sidewalk is less comforting. I swear, it's at least one a day. 

1 comment:

BuckBonz said...

while reading this i pictured you "in my mind's eye" (Patent Pending - Galina Peters 2007) walking past mountains of trash to the tune of 'Inner City Pressure' as sung by Flight of the Conchords.